Goa Police to analyse seized drugs
Panaji: The Goa Police have begun an elaborate exercise to inspect and analyse drugs and narcotic substances worth Rs.3.41 crore seized between 2006 and 2009.
The probe follows a startling admission by now-absconding Israeli drug dealer Atala who had alleged that an inspector of the Anti-Narcotics Cell (ANC) sold cocaine and charas to him from the police stockpile.
The stock had been ordered to be destroyed by the special Narcotics Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) magistrate.
The inspection began Monday. It is being conducted by a superintendent of police. "We will be checking all the drugs with us," Deputy Inspector General Ravinder Singh Yadav told reporters.
In 2006, the Goa Police seized drugs worth Rs.74.22 lakh. This figure rose in 2007 to Rs.80.50 lakh, dipped to Rs.76.26 lakh in 2008 and again went up to Rs.1.10 crore in 2009.
Atala`s stunning revelations, made in a video, has led to the suspension of five policemen since the media began reporting the story last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery