Goa police to probe senior officials in illegal mining case
Panaji: The Goa Crime Branch has launched an extensive investigation against senior government officials into the alleged illegal mining case involving NCP general secretary Jitendra Deshprabhu.
The investigation covers the Mines and Geology director, Forest Conservator, Goa State Pollution Control Board chairman, State Transport director, among others, who have been accused of shielding illegal mining in Goa, police said.
"We will be quizzing almost everyone associated with this case," Deputy Superintendent of Police Chandrakant Salgaoncar said, adding an FIR has been registered against Deshprabhu, besides other government officials on May 11.
Deshprabhu, whose family owns huge tracts of land in North Goa`s Pernem taluka, has been accused of indulging in illegal mining to the tune of Rs 50 crore.
The crime branch had yesterday interrogated the Director of Mines and Geology Department, Arvind Lolienkar, who is also responsible for giving a mining licence in connection with the case.
The interrogation went on for almost seven hours at the office of the Crime branch at Dona Paula.
Deshprabhu`s alleged illegal mine was discovered in 2007 and subsequently the issue was raised in the Goa Legislative Assembly by opposition benches, led by the BJP.
The mines department had also initiated inquiry into the mine, which according to them, had already exported several thousand tonnes of ore, without proper license.
The department had found 15,000 metric tonnes of ore stacked at a site reportedly owned by Deshprabhu`s family.
Salgaoncar said that Deshprabhu had been issued summons to remain present before the investigating authority yesterday, which he ignored.
The crime branch has now decided to issue summons to Deshprabhu only after questioning the state government authorities responsible for regulation of mining in the state, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal