Goa police to probe senior officials in illegal mining case
Panaji: The Goa Crime Branch has launched an extensive investigation against senior government officials into the alleged illegal mining case involving NCP general secretary Jitendra Deshprabhu.
The investigation covers the Mines and Geology director, Forest Conservator, Goa State Pollution Control Board chairman, State Transport director, among others, who have been accused of shielding illegal mining in Goa, police said.
"We will be quizzing almost everyone associated with this case," Deputy Superintendent of Police Chandrakant Salgaoncar said, adding an FIR has been registered against Deshprabhu, besides other government officials on May 11.
Deshprabhu, whose family owns huge tracts of land in North Goa`s Pernem taluka, has been accused of indulging in illegal mining to the tune of Rs 50 crore.
The crime branch had yesterday interrogated the Director of Mines and Geology Department, Arvind Lolienkar, who is also responsible for giving a mining licence in connection with the case.
The interrogation went on for almost seven hours at the office of the Crime branch at Dona Paula.
Deshprabhu`s alleged illegal mine was discovered in 2007 and subsequently the issue was raised in the Goa Legislative Assembly by opposition benches, led by the BJP.
The mines department had also initiated inquiry into the mine, which according to them, had already exported several thousand tonnes of ore, without proper license.
The department had found 15,000 metric tonnes of ore stacked at a site reportedly owned by Deshprabhu`s family.
Salgaoncar said that Deshprabhu had been issued summons to remain present before the investigating authority yesterday, which he ignored.
The crime branch has now decided to issue summons to Deshprabhu only after questioning the state government authorities responsible for regulation of mining in the state, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Moody's downgrades Britain to 'negative'; others warn
- BSP's Gaya Charan Dinkar is new Leader of Opposition in UP Assembly
- Jacqueline Fernandez at the launch of two Aéropostale stores in Mumbai! Pic inside
- Sky is the limit for investments in India: Arun Jaitley
- Like seriously! Kanye West lying naked along with other 11 personalities in his 'Famous' video - Watch