Goa: Russian girl alleges assault by rape accused supporters
Panaji: The Russian girl, who was allegedly raped by a Goa politician, has claimed that a group of people linked to the accused tried to assault her outside a court.
The incident took place yesterday when the 25-year-old girl was apparently returning after the district and sessions court granted anticipatory bail to the accused John Fernandes.
"I was sitting in the car along with my friend when a mob encircled us and tried to attack. Thankfully, car windows were pulled halfway up and they could not reach us," the girl told reporters last night.
She said someone in the crowd pounced on the car but moved away after seeing a TV journalist arriving at the scene.
"The crowd hurled abuses and threatened to finish me off," she alleged.
The victim said she immediately rushed to Panaji, 30 kms away from the scene, to complain to the police about the attempt to assault her. "I went to Colva police station where I was referred to Margao police station. They kept shunting me from one place to another. Finally, I gave up," she said.
The girl has written to the Russian consulate claiming that she fears for her life and has lost hopes of getting justice. "Justice is important for me but what`s more important is my life," she said.
The victim was allegedly raped by Fernandes after spiking her drink on December one.
Fernandes is a high-profile south Goa politician who had unsuccessfully contested 2007 legislative Assembly polls from Benaulim constituency under Churchill Alemao`s Save Goa Front party.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!