Goa: Scribes fume as Speaker gags media from Assembly
Panaji: Journalists in Goa have expressed displeasure over the restrictions being imposed by the Legislative Assembly Speaker on the coverage of the monsoon session which began on Thursday.
Speaker Rajendra Arlekar has imposed a partial ban on still photographers during the session.
As per the directive, the photographers were allowed to take snaps only during the Question Hour, contrary to the earlier practice of allowing unhindered coverage.
The local cable channels which used to cover the Assembly proceedings live would now be given the live feed by the Assembly staff, which was vetted by the Speaker.
A delegation led by the Goa Union of Journalists (GUJ) President Pandurang Gaonkar met Arlekar requesting him to lift the ban. The Speaker, however, said "We can review the decision on Monday".
Meanwhile, independent legislator Vijay Sardesai moved a calling attention motion against the restrictions, which was not entertained by the Speaker.
In his notice to the motion, Sardesai termed the decision of the Speaker as the "era of censorship in BJP government regime".
Almost 1500 questions will be tabled before the House during the span of the 20 working days of the month-long session.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP wins big, grabs 81 BMC seats; Fadnavis credits PM Narendra Modi
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway