Goa `serial killer` booked for making threat calls
Panaji: Goa Police has registered an offence against suspected serial killer Mahanand Naik under Information Technology Act for threatening a woman, whom he had allegedly raped, using a mobile phone from the high-security Central jail at Aguada near here.
"Inquiries into the complaint made by the victim at Ponda Police had revealed that the calls were actually made to her from the mobile phone which had a location at Calangute, where Aguada Jail is located", a state police spokesman said today.
Preliminary investigations into the calls have revealed how banned articles like mobile phones were smuggled into the prison.
According to police, the mobile phone number allegedly used by Mahanand in making threatening calls to the victim was registered in the name of one Wilfred Rodrigues, a resident of Nachinola village.
"However, Rodrigues has said that he does not know Mahanand", he said, adding the inquiries have revealed that the documents submitted to acquire the SIM card were forged.
The investigations, he said, are surrounding the affairs within the jail and a massive search has been launched in the Portuguese-era jail to scout for the banned substances.
"We are yet to recover the mobile phone but we will get it soon", he added.
Mahanand had 18 cases of murders against him of which he was acquitted in 8 cases while three cases in which he is convicted are being tried in the high court following his appeal.
The alleged serial killer had been convicted in 2010 by the North Goa Sessions court for raping his wife`s friend for four years and had threatened to kill her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city