Goa `serial killer` gets life in jail
Panaji: A court in Goa on Friday sentenced
"serial killer" Mahanand Naik to life imprisonment for
murdering a 32-year-old woman at Bambolim village in 2007.
North Goa Principal Sessions Judge Nutan Sardesai
sentenced the 40-year-old to life in prison after the
prosecution did not press for death sentence.
This was the first conviction for Naik who was accused of murdering at least 18 women in the state over one-and-half decades. He has been acquitted in seven cases till now.
The court also imposed a fine of Rs 1.3 lakh on him
for the murder at Bambolim near here.
Clad in a light green formal shirt and dark blue
jeans, Naik showed no emotion as the judge read out the
order. He, however, smiled at the waiting journalists as he
came out of the court.
Police had chargesheeted Naik for killing Susheela
Fatarpekar on October 24, 2007. The killer allegedly removed
ornaments from Susheela`s body after strangling her to death
using a `dupatta` and dumped the body on a plateau. The victim
was working as a sweeper in a private firm.
He was chargesheeted under IPC sections 364
(kidnapping or abduction in order to murder), 302 (murder),
392 (robbery) and 201 (destruction of evidence). The
prosecution had examined 21 witnesses.
Naik, a resident of Shiroda village, was arrested on
April 21, 2009 for allegedly raping his wife`s friend. During
custodial interrogation, he confessed to a string of murders,
according to police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read