Goa `serial killer` gets life in jail
Panaji: A court in Goa on Friday sentenced
"serial killer" Mahanand Naik to life imprisonment for
murdering a 32-year-old woman at Bambolim village in 2007.
North Goa Principal Sessions Judge Nutan Sardesai
sentenced the 40-year-old to life in prison after the
prosecution did not press for death sentence.
This was the first conviction for Naik who was accused of murdering at least 18 women in the state over one-and-half decades. He has been acquitted in seven cases till now.
The court also imposed a fine of Rs 1.3 lakh on him
for the murder at Bambolim near here.
Clad in a light green formal shirt and dark blue
jeans, Naik showed no emotion as the judge read out the
order. He, however, smiled at the waiting journalists as he
came out of the court.
Police had chargesheeted Naik for killing Susheela
Fatarpekar on October 24, 2007. The killer allegedly removed
ornaments from Susheela`s body after strangling her to death
using a `dupatta` and dumped the body on a plateau. The victim
was working as a sweeper in a private firm.
He was chargesheeted under IPC sections 364
(kidnapping or abduction in order to murder), 302 (murder),
392 (robbery) and 201 (destruction of evidence). The
prosecution had examined 21 witnesses.
Naik, a resident of Shiroda village, was arrested on
April 21, 2009 for allegedly raping his wife`s friend. During
custodial interrogation, he confessed to a string of murders,
according to police.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference