Goa `serial killer` gets life in jail
Panaji: A court in Goa on Friday sentenced
"serial killer" Mahanand Naik to life imprisonment for
murdering a 32-year-old woman at Bambolim village in 2007.
North Goa Principal Sessions Judge Nutan Sardesai
sentenced the 40-year-old to life in prison after the
prosecution did not press for death sentence.
This was the first conviction for Naik who was accused of murdering at least 18 women in the state over one-and-half decades. He has been acquitted in seven cases till now.
The court also imposed a fine of Rs 1.3 lakh on him
for the murder at Bambolim near here.
Clad in a light green formal shirt and dark blue
jeans, Naik showed no emotion as the judge read out the
order. He, however, smiled at the waiting journalists as he
came out of the court.
Police had chargesheeted Naik for killing Susheela
Fatarpekar on October 24, 2007. The killer allegedly removed
ornaments from Susheela`s body after strangling her to death
using a `dupatta` and dumped the body on a plateau. The victim
was working as a sweeper in a private firm.
He was chargesheeted under IPC sections 364
(kidnapping or abduction in order to murder), 302 (murder),
392 (robbery) and 201 (destruction of evidence). The
prosecution had examined 21 witnesses.
Naik, a resident of Shiroda village, was arrested on
April 21, 2009 for allegedly raping his wife`s friend. During
custodial interrogation, he confessed to a string of murders,
according to police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Jasprit Bumrah jumps to career best No. 2 spot in ICC T20I Rankings
- Water tanker scam: ACB summons Delhi Water Minister Kapil Mishra for questioning
- Now recharge your body and phone with KFC's 'Watt a Box' meal!- Watch
- Volkswagen to pay $10 billion in US over emissions scandal: Source
- PM Narendra Modi meets Chinese President Xi Jinping, seeks support for India's NSG bid