Goa serial killer gets seven years of imprisonment
Panaji: A local court on Friday sentenced alleged serial killer Mahanand Naik to seven years of imprisonment for raping a girl in 2009.
Additional District and Sessions court pronounced the sentence in presence of the accused, who has also been charged for murdering 16 girls and slapped a fine of Rs 25,000 on him.
Mahanand (40), was arrested in 2009 after the victim, his wife`s friend, complained to the Ponda police that he was threatening her. The girl had claimed that he was raping her
for over three years.
The victim, belonging to a poor family, had said she was being "blackmailed" by Mahanand by showing her semi nude pictures.
During interrogation after his arrest, Mahanand had confessed of killing 16 women for over 15 years.
The killer had confessed that he was murdering the girls using their dupatta after luring them for a date.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees