Goa: Shah Commission to analyse mines data
Panaji: Justice MB Shah Commission, probing alleged instances of illegal mining in Goa, has completed the process of collecting data from the iron ore mines across the state and will be analysing the same, a senior officer said on Sunday.
According to the official, eight teams under the panel had inspected 90 operating mines and 32 non-operating mines in the coastal state in the wake of prevalent illegalities at various levels in iron ore mining.
"The inquiry is just at a preliminary state. We need to analyse it (data) and seek more clarifications, if required," he said.
Goa is the largest exporter of iron ore in the country with around 54 million metric ton of ore being exported from both the ports in the state.
Justice Shah Commission began inquiring into illegal mining trade as part of its nationwide inquiry which commenced with the state of Karnataka where it brought under scanner several mining barons who were booked for illegal mining.
The probe panel officials had arrived in Goa during mid-September and launched investigations by scrutinising documents from the State Mines and Geology department, Forest Department, Revenue Department and Goa State Pollution Control Board.
The commission is also probing whether the mining leases have encroached upon the nearby lands.
The inquiry has rattled the Digambar Kamat-led Congress government, mired into allegations of illegal mining, to sit up and take note of the illegalities. In the background of the inquiry, Forest department has already issued notices to 19 mines working close to the wildlife sanctuaries and national park to suspend operations.
Similarly, Goa State Pollution Control Board has issued notices to 40 mines for not having consent under Water and Air Pollution Control Board Act.
Goa state Legislative Assembly`s Public Accounts Committee (PAC) has also issued notices to 48 mining leases in the state.
The Commission is expected to submit its report in next 15 days to the Central government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues