Goa: Shah panel seeks details against ore traders
Panaji: The Goa government will submit
details of action taken against the iron ore traders to
Justice MB Shah Commission, probing illegal mining in the
The commission, in a letter to the Mines Department
last week, sought details of action taken against the traders,
Director of Mines and Geology Prasanna Acharya told reporters
here on Monday.
The department will soon respond to the letter as several
measures had been taken to curb illegal trading in iron ore in
the coastal state, he said.
Goa`s new government last week suspended licences of 460
traders in a bid to check illegal extraction and export of ore
from the state.
The traders have been asked to furnish details, including
their contract with mining firms, before the department renews
Each trader will be scrutinised on various aspects to
ensure he does not facilitate illegal mining. Those traders
who fail to submit details by April 15 will not be considered
for licences, Acharya said.
The Centre-appointed commission, which has submitted its
interim report to the Union Mines Ministry, last year had
asked Goa government to verify authenticity of the traders.
The Mines Department was shocked to find that as many as
108 traders had submitted fake addresses. Last week, then
Mines Department Director Arvind Lolienkar was suspended for
The department has stumbled upon 240 more applications
seeking trading licences. "These traders never followed up the
matter," Acharya said, adding the applications are likely to
be rejected in absence of proper documents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves