Goa: Shah panel seeks details against ore traders
Panaji: The Goa government will submit
details of action taken against the iron ore traders to
Justice MB Shah Commission, probing illegal mining in the
The commission, in a letter to the Mines Department
last week, sought details of action taken against the traders,
Director of Mines and Geology Prasanna Acharya told reporters
here on Monday.
The department will soon respond to the letter as several
measures had been taken to curb illegal trading in iron ore in
the coastal state, he said.
Goa`s new government last week suspended licences of 460
traders in a bid to check illegal extraction and export of ore
from the state.
The traders have been asked to furnish details, including
their contract with mining firms, before the department renews
Each trader will be scrutinised on various aspects to
ensure he does not facilitate illegal mining. Those traders
who fail to submit details by April 15 will not be considered
for licences, Acharya said.
The Centre-appointed commission, which has submitted its
interim report to the Union Mines Ministry, last year had
asked Goa government to verify authenticity of the traders.
The Mines Department was shocked to find that as many as
108 traders had submitted fake addresses. Last week, then
Mines Department Director Arvind Lolienkar was suspended for
The department has stumbled upon 240 more applications
seeking trading licences. "These traders never followed up the
matter," Acharya said, adding the applications are likely to
be rejected in absence of proper documents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown