Goa shocker: 11-year-old girl raped on Colva beach
Panaji: An 11-year-old girl was allegedly raped at Goa`s Colva beach by a 20-year-old man, police said Wednesday.
Police said the girl was waiting for a bus near Colva beach - 40 km from here - with her elder sister, also a minor, Tuesday night when the accused offered them sweets. He then took them to the beach and raped the 11-year-old girl behind a bush.
"We have filed an FIR (first information report) after we learnt about the incident today (Wednesday) morning. We have some leads and we are looking for the accused," a police official said. The police refused to name the accused.
Auda Viegas, who heads a local women right`s group Bailancho Ekvott, said the incident only highlights the fact that beaches in Goa are not safe for women.
"It is shameful. What kind of a tourist state is this? Women are not safe in Goa. There should be more vigilance on these beach stretches during late hours," Viegas told reporters here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi