Goa soon to have women firefighters
Panaji: Women are set to join the Goa Fire
and Emergency Services, currently the preserve of men, from
Recruitment rules for inducting women in the services are
being finalised and norms are likely to be in place by April,
Chief Secretary Sanjay Srivastava told reporters today.
"We expect the rules to be in place by April 14, 2011,"
he said in the presence of Home Minister Ravi Naik during the
annual inspection day parade of Fire and Emergency Services
All the 13 fire stations in the state will have women
firefighters, he said.
The top bureaucrat said the department has already
submitted a proposal on women`s induction.
"The proposal will go to the Personnel Department from
where it will be referred to the Law Department," he said.
Naik said induction of women in the force is crucial as
"male firefighters might attract accusations of molestation
during rescue operations."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Anushka Sharma slaps ‘Sultan’ Salman Khan?