Goa Su-Raj Party focuses on transgenders` issues in manifesto
Panaji: Ahead of the Lok Sabha polls, Goa Su-Raj Party (GSRP) has taken up the issue of transgenders on its election manifesto, stating that poverty and neglect by the society was forcing them to beg and indulge in prostitution in the coastal state.
"The transgenders in Goa are forced to take up prostitution or begging as they are very poor and neglected citizens," Goa Su-Raj party secretary Savio Rodrigues told a news agency today.
GSRP, a 14-year-old party has so far contested four Assembly Elections and will be contesting the Lok Sabha polls for the first time this year. The regional party has now decided to rejuvenate itself by enrolling new members and taking up issues, which are ignored by other major political parties.
Rodrigues, a journalist-turned-politician, said that there are gangs of transgenders who are often seen begging in the cities like Margao in south Goa.
"Why can`t we classify them under a special category and provide them decent livelihood? We can help them set up small business, like vegetable kiosks," he said.
Rodrigues said that it was difficult to know the exact number of transgenders in Goa as "many have been living in the closets."
The party has promised reservations in the government jobs and also in the schemes like educational subsidies for transgenders or transsexuals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16