Goa to ban Plaster of Paris Ganesh idols again
Panaji: The Goa government proposes to impose a ban on Ganesh idols made of Plaster of Paris (PoP) which, after immersion, end up polluting the water source, state Environment Minister Alina Saldanha said on Monday.
The state has imposed a ban on PoP idols earlier too, though such idols continue to have a market as they are relatively cheaper and have a good finish.
Saldanha, speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a government function in the capital, said: "PoP does cause a lot of pollution. The decision (to ban PoP idols) will be taken soon, much before Ganesh Chaturthi, so that people have enough time on their hands to get the right idols."
The PoP idols, often containing gypsum, sulphur, phosphorus and magnesium as well as lead paints, disintegrate slowly and, in the process, poison the waters of lakes, ponds and rivers, as well as choking the beds of water bodies.
Last year, after the state government banned the idols, it also started selling eco-friendly Ganesh idols through its handicrafts corporation.
Ganesh Chaturthi, which is scheduled for September 09 this year, is one of Goa`s most popular religious festivals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks