Goa to check safety systems in govt buildings
Panaji: In wake of the massive fire in Maharashtra state secretariat yesterday, Goa government on Friday issued an advisory to fire and emergency service departments to check fire protection systems at all government departments including secretariat and state Assembly complex.
Goa Chief Secretary Sanjay Srivastava issued advisory today morning to fire and emergency departments to conduct drills and also to ensure that fire protection systems are in place in the government buildings.
"We are acting immediately. The checking of all the buildings will start from morning itself," fire and emergency services director Ashok Menon said.
He said the chief secretary spoke to him in the morning before issuing the advisory.
The main concentration would be on buildings like the secretariat, ministerial block and state Legislative Assembly complex, which are power centres and visited by thousands of people daily.
In addition, buildings like Junta house located in the city and Shramashakti Bhavan located at the outskirts, which houses the offices of government departments will also be checked.
Menon said the Public Works department (PWD), which maintains the buildings, had asked to amend certain fire safety arrangements at state Legislative Assembly complex.
"We are yet to receive back any communication from them. But we will be inspecting the Assembly complex building today as the session would be in progess from July 12 onwards," the director said.
The fire and emergency departments will also conduct mock drills at the secretariat and other buildings during peak hours to educate people on evacuation, in case of any calamity.
The fire in the Mantralaya building in Mumbai left 3 dead and 16 others injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened