Goa to compensate victims of heinous crimes
Panaji: Goa government has come up with a special compensation scheme for victims of heinous crimes including rape, acid attack and human trafficking.
"A compensation up to Rs 10 lakh will be given to the victims or dependants who have suffered loss or injury or who require rehabilitation under the `Goa Victim Compensation Scheme, 2012`," Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar told reporters after the scheme was passed by the state government yesterday.
The scheme, drafted as per Supreme Court directions, offers compensation to victims of crimes like rape, acid attack, child abuse and human trafficking.
"The compensation would be paid even if the offender is not identified," the chief minister said.
For those killed in such a crime, assistance of up to Rs 2 lakh will be given to their kin while those who have become over 80 per cent handicapped due to an attack, are entitled to Rs 50,000 as aid.
While Rs 25,000 will be given as assistance in case of loss of any limb or part of the body resulting in handicap between 40 per cent to 80 per cent those with below 40 per cent are entitled to Rs 10,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what