Goa to compensate victims of heinous crimes
Panaji: Goa government has come up with a special compensation scheme for victims of heinous crimes including rape, acid attack and human trafficking.
"A compensation up to Rs 10 lakh will be given to the victims or dependants who have suffered loss or injury or who require rehabilitation under the `Goa Victim Compensation Scheme, 2012`," Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar told reporters after the scheme was passed by the state government yesterday.
The scheme, drafted as per Supreme Court directions, offers compensation to victims of crimes like rape, acid attack, child abuse and human trafficking.
"The compensation would be paid even if the offender is not identified," the chief minister said.
For those killed in such a crime, assistance of up to Rs 2 lakh will be given to their kin while those who have become over 80 per cent handicapped due to an attack, are entitled to Rs 50,000 as aid.
While Rs 25,000 will be given as assistance in case of loss of any limb or part of the body resulting in handicap between 40 per cent to 80 per cent those with below 40 per cent are entitled to Rs 10,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch