Goa to get Israeli expertise in farming sector
Panaji: Israel, known worldwide for its expertise in agriculture, will help Goa in rejuvenating the sector and its allied segments.
Officials from Israel today held parleys with Goa Government on exchange of knowledge in agriculture field so that allied segments like horticulture and floriculture could be encouraged in the coastal state.
Consul General of Israel in Mumbai Jonathan Miller met Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar and held discussions on providing technical-know how to the State on rejuvenating the horticulture and floriculture sectors in Goa on lines with Israel, officials said today.
An Israeli delegation has been holding a series of meeting with Goa Agriculture Department officials, including Director Prajapati Toofani, to ascertain whether agriculture projects can be taken up in Government-run farms.
Ilan Divon, Consul, Economic Affairs, Consulate General of Israel, visited Government farm at Old Goa early this week.
The Government is also looking at improving farmer training centres with the participation of Israeli experts.
"Israel is ahead in terms of farmer training and if we can get their expertise, it will help the agriculture sector in Goa," said Giriraj Vernekar, Officer on Special Duty to the Chief Minister.
The Israeli Government intends to increase the scope of studies for Goa agriculture officers visiting that country as part of National Horticulture Mission, he said.
"Besides the regular training, the officers can also be made to interact with companies dealing in farming products," Vernekar said.
A key issue faced by the Agriculture Department - how to cultivate on the rocky and marshy lands of the State - will also be addressed by Israeli experts, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi