Goa to go back to villages which saw anti-Portuguese revolt
Panaji: Fifty years after Goa`s
liberation from Portuguese rule, like-minded individuals and
freedom fighters who took part in the struggle will tour 200
villages that saw rebellion against the foreign power.
A committee, headed by veteran freedom fighter
Flaviano Dias, has been formed to chalk out an elaborate
programme to spread awareness about the freedom struggle which
had led to Goa`s liberation on December 19, 1961 (rpt December
"We have noticed that the patriotic spirit amongst the
youth is on the wane," Subhash Velingkar, Working President of
the committee, told reporters here today.
When a Portuguese Navy ship arrived here in November
last year to celebrate 500 years of Goa conquest, there were
public rallies welcoming the vessel, he said.
"In fact, there should have been protests as the ship
was a grim reminder of the arrival of Portuguese, who ruled
and tortured us."
There are at least 200 villages where freedom fighters
launched brave rebellion against the Portuguese, he said.
"We want to visit villages and places where rebellion
took place and organise functions there. The aim is to make
locals aware about the importance of these places and
ignite spirit of nationalism among the current generation."
If possible, local freedom fighters who participated
in the rebellion would be honoured, he said.
Veteran freedom fighter Flaviano Dias said nearly 60
per cent of the freedom fighters have died. "Those who are
alive would be ceremoniously brought to a pre-decided place in
villages and honoured."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo