Goa to go back to villages which saw anti-Portuguese revolt
Panaji: Fifty years after Goa`s
liberation from Portuguese rule, like-minded individuals and
freedom fighters who took part in the struggle will tour 200
villages that saw rebellion against the foreign power.
A committee, headed by veteran freedom fighter
Flaviano Dias, has been formed to chalk out an elaborate
programme to spread awareness about the freedom struggle which
had led to Goa`s liberation on December 19, 1961 (rpt December
"We have noticed that the patriotic spirit amongst the
youth is on the wane," Subhash Velingkar, Working President of
the committee, told reporters here today.
When a Portuguese Navy ship arrived here in November
last year to celebrate 500 years of Goa conquest, there were
public rallies welcoming the vessel, he said.
"In fact, there should have been protests as the ship
was a grim reminder of the arrival of Portuguese, who ruled
and tortured us."
There are at least 200 villages where freedom fighters
launched brave rebellion against the Portuguese, he said.
"We want to visit villages and places where rebellion
took place and organise functions there. The aim is to make
locals aware about the importance of these places and
ignite spirit of nationalism among the current generation."
If possible, local freedom fighters who participated
in the rebellion would be honoured, he said.
Veteran freedom fighter Flaviano Dias said nearly 60
per cent of the freedom fighters have died. "Those who are
alive would be ceremoniously brought to a pre-decided place in
villages and honoured."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060