Goa to go back to villages which saw anti-Portuguese revolt
Panaji: Fifty years after Goa`s
liberation from Portuguese rule, like-minded individuals and
freedom fighters who took part in the struggle will tour 200
villages that saw rebellion against the foreign power.
A committee, headed by veteran freedom fighter
Flaviano Dias, has been formed to chalk out an elaborate
programme to spread awareness about the freedom struggle which
had led to Goa`s liberation on December 19, 1961 (rpt December
"We have noticed that the patriotic spirit amongst the
youth is on the wane," Subhash Velingkar, Working President of
the committee, told reporters here today.
When a Portuguese Navy ship arrived here in November
last year to celebrate 500 years of Goa conquest, there were
public rallies welcoming the vessel, he said.
"In fact, there should have been protests as the ship
was a grim reminder of the arrival of Portuguese, who ruled
and tortured us."
There are at least 200 villages where freedom fighters
launched brave rebellion against the Portuguese, he said.
"We want to visit villages and places where rebellion
took place and organise functions there. The aim is to make
locals aware about the importance of these places and
ignite spirit of nationalism among the current generation."
If possible, local freedom fighters who participated
in the rebellion would be honoured, he said.
Veteran freedom fighter Flaviano Dias said nearly 60
per cent of the freedom fighters have died. "Those who are
alive would be ceremoniously brought to a pre-decided place in
villages and honoured."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read