Goa to have statues spreading message against women`s abuse
Panaji: Statues advocating a message against sexual abuse of women would be installed at two prominent water bodies of Goa, a local NGO said on Thursday.
Two of the Portuguese-era creeks, Rue de Ouvrem and Campal Creek, both running parallel through city of Panaji would host two statues that of a mermaid and a merman.
"A statue of mermaid will have a flame in her hand, inspired by the Delhi gang rape victim," Goa Forgiving Trust director Jeronino Almeida told reporters here.
The statues would spread the message that victimisation of women would not be tolerated in the state like Goa, where lakhs of tourists arrive here on vacation.
Armando Gonsalves, another NGO official, said the statue of mermaid would be installed in the Rue de Ouvrem creek and that of a merman at the Campal Creek in Panaji.
The work on the statues would start later this year and completed by early next year, Gonsalves said.
"Sculptors of international repute would be engaged to carve out the statues," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown