Goa to restore dilapidated forts
Panaji: The upcoming tourism masterplan for Goa will include restoration of several forts which are in a dilapidated condition, State Tourism Minister Dilip Parulekar said on Tuesday.
Parulekar told the State Legislative Assembly that the consultants, who will prepare the tourism masterplan, have been already appointed and they will be asked to ensure restoration of such forts.
The minister said these forts which are of historical importance can be a major tourist attraction.
The question was raised on the floor of the House by BJP MLA Vishnu Surya Wagh who pointed out that several forts are crumbling as they are not maintained by the government.
Parulekar said the forts are protected by State Archaeology Department, but Tourism Department will join hands in their preservation.
"We will start preserving them as soon as possible. The consultants would be asked to give priority to these forts in the masterplan," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Gunman, who opened fire at German cinema complex before being shot dead, acted alone
- 'NSG applications of Pakistan, India should be considered together'
- Jung, Meena will be summoned over Sheila govt 'scams': Dy Speaker
- CBI files fresh chargesheet against two in Vyapam cases
- ED officer loses annual increments for harassing woman