Goa to run special buses for women from April 30
Panaji: In a bid to provide safe and secure environment to women passengers, the Goa government will commission special buses on five of its prime routes, a senior minister said on Wednesday.
The buses would be introduced on important routes by the state-run Kadamba Transport Corporation Ltd on prime routes connecting Panaji, Margao, Vasco, Ponda and Mapusa cities, state Transport Minister Ramakrishna Dhavalikar told reporters today in Panaji.
"The step is a part of government`s initiative to provide safe and secure environment for the women passengers, to save them from any possible mischievous behaviour," the minister said.
The demand for special buses for women was raised during the ongoing state Legislative Assembly session wherein the legislator like BJP`s Michael Lobo has been consistently demanding such special facility for ladies.
Dhavalikar said that the "only for women" buses would be plied from April 30.
The buses would run at specific time in the morning and evening hours, when office going and college going women crowd is more, he said.
The KTCL today commissioned 99 new buses on the existing routes.
Dhavalikar informed reporters that 83 buses from the existing fleet would be introduced to ferry students from various government primary schools.
A special scheme has been drawn by the State Education Department for the purpose. These buses would ply from June when new academic year starts, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price