Goa to strengthen ties with Diaspora
New Delhi: Goa is following in the footsteps of Kerala to engage with its non-residents who make up at least one-third of the state`s 1.5 million population and contribute substantially to the Goan economy.
Eduardo Faleiro, Goa commissioner for Non-Resident Indians (NRIs), who is the man behind the efforts, hopes the efforts will best serve the interests of the state.
Faleiro said he is happy with the "positive" response from Non-Resident Goans (NRGs) to the work and study his office has done and for the cooperation from the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs (MOIA).
"The response is very positive. And what the MOIA is doing for the Diaspora and NRIs is a matter to be appreciated, the way they have reached out and how it is well received," Faleiro, a former union minister, said during a visit to the capital.
His office will interact with overseas Goans on a sustained basis to identify areas of mutual concern, address the needs of Goans overseas by providing an institutional platform and formulating appropriate policies and also strengthen the bond between Goa and the overseas Goans by recognising their achievements.
The Goa Commissioner`s office has issued 500 Goa Cards to Goan expatriates across the world in two years on request and payment of Rs 250. The Goa card holders will get faster and better attention from government departments and offices.
Goa is also the second state after Kerala to have conducted a scientific migration study to understand and deal with irregular migration and exploitation of NRGs.
A Goa scholarship programme for Diaspora children is formulated by the commissioner`s office for the benefit of the wards of Persons of Indian Origin (PIO), Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) and NRGs.
The commissioner`s office has also initiated the Know Goa Programme to acquaint youth of the Goan Diaspora with the state and its culture.
On Faleiro`s request, the Indian government has delegated powers to the state for authentication of educational certificates from Goan academic institutions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends