Goa villagers protest pollution by Sesa`s metallurgy plant
Panaji: Thousands of villagers from Navelim in Bicholim taluka of Goa on Monday observed a day-long bandh against Sesa Goa`s metallurgical coke plant in the village, claiming that it is polluting their surroundings.
Police officials said the bandh which started at 7 am has remained peaceful till now. Locals were seen sloganeering on the road and blocked the entire stretch which connects Panaji to Bicholim taluka.
Sundar Gawas, one of the protestor said that Sesa Goa had taken the entire village and state government for granted.
He claimed that expansion of the existing facility of metallurgical coke plant has increased the pollution levels in the surroundings.
"We can see black dust power our food. God knows how much of such particles we have been inhaling," he said.
Sesa Goa which has set up its plant here in the year 2006 has began expansion of their facility since this month. The company spokesman earlier had confessed that the high capacity diesel burners had misfired while pre-heating activity releasing black smoke in the air on August 17 and August 18.
The villagers today claimed that the state pollution control board and even ministry of environment forest (MoEF) did not conduct any public hearing while allowing the expansion of the plant, which is mandatory according to law.
The gram sabha held on Sunday had decided to hold one day bandh to attract attention towards the gross illegalities committed by the plant.
The villagers claimed that the plant has been polluting their water sources.
Sesa Goa Limited has been operating a 250,000 tonne pig iron manufacturing plant since 1992 and a 280,000 tonne metallurgical coke manufacturing plant since 1994 at Amona which was shifted to Navelim in 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand