Goa: Viscera of UK woman was sent to lab 20 months after death
Panaji: In what possibly botched up the investigation of death of British woman Denyse Carol Sweeney, there was a delay of 20 months in getting her viscera examined.
Deputy Superintendent of Police Bousette Silva today confirmed to PTI that the viscera was sent to laboratory almost 20 months after the death, when ideally it should be sent within six weeks.
At the time, police had put down the death to `drug overdose`, but now, following her sister`s protest and pressure from British authorities, a case of murder has been registered at Anjuna police station here.
Sweeney (35) was found unconscious at Primrose nightclub at Vagator village and died during the treatment at a private hospital on April 16, 2010.
The viscera was sent, eventually, in November 2011 to the Regional Forensic Science Labouratory at Surat.
"Delay in viscera examination results in inconclusive results," Silva said, adding that Goa police had tried to get it examined as early as possible, but could not get `appointment` from various forensic science labouratories.
After the postmortem at Goa Medical College and Hospital, the forensic experts had reserved opinion on cause of death, waiting for the viscera analysis.
According to DSP Silva, at first it was to be sent to CFSL Hyderabad, which suddenly stopped receiving samples from Goa. "Thereafter we tried to send it to Labouratory in Chennai, which also refused."
Maureen, Sweeney`s sister, has refused to buy the drug overdose theory. British press has quoted her as saying that second post-mortem in UK found no trace of drugs or alcohol in the body.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title