Goa: Viscera of UK woman was sent to lab 20 months after death
Panaji: In what possibly botched up the investigation of death of British woman Denyse Carol Sweeney, there was a delay of 20 months in getting her viscera examined.
Deputy Superintendent of Police Bousette Silva today confirmed to PTI that the viscera was sent to laboratory almost 20 months after the death, when ideally it should be sent within six weeks.
At the time, police had put down the death to `drug overdose`, but now, following her sister`s protest and pressure from British authorities, a case of murder has been registered at Anjuna police station here.
Sweeney (35) was found unconscious at Primrose nightclub at Vagator village and died during the treatment at a private hospital on April 16, 2010.
The viscera was sent, eventually, in November 2011 to the Regional Forensic Science Labouratory at Surat.
"Delay in viscera examination results in inconclusive results," Silva said, adding that Goa police had tried to get it examined as early as possible, but could not get `appointment` from various forensic science labouratories.
After the postmortem at Goa Medical College and Hospital, the forensic experts had reserved opinion on cause of death, waiting for the viscera analysis.
According to DSP Silva, at first it was to be sent to CFSL Hyderabad, which suddenly stopped receiving samples from Goa. "Thereafter we tried to send it to Labouratory in Chennai, which also refused."
Maureen, Sweeney`s sister, has refused to buy the drug overdose theory. British press has quoted her as saying that second post-mortem in UK found no trace of drugs or alcohol in the body.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog