Goa warns against spread of MMS showing violence
Panaji: A day after the Goa government reassured people from the North-East of their security, the state police on Saturday warned against the spread of an MMS, which shows graphic violence targeting a particular community.
"The spread of such video may hurt religious sentiments of a certain section of the society and may lead to disturbances in otherwise peaceful state," a statement issued by the Goa Police says.
The Central government on Friday banned bulk SMSes and MMSes for 15 days in view of the exodus of people from the North-East from major cities across the country following rumours that they would be attacked.
It also cautions people "not to fall prey to the video clippings and maintain calm and peace".
"The spread of the video is mischievous and may cause communal disharmony," police said.
In a bid to make the northeast people in Goa feel secure and at home, the state government on Friday issued a formal statement pledging itself to their security.
"In view of the recent reports indicating apprehension in the minds of the people from the northeastern parts of the country, regarding their safety and security in certain parts of the country... The government of Goa assures the people from northeast that their safety and security is of prime concern and that there is no cause to worry," the statement said.
The statement follows rumours of impending attacks on people from the northeast in other parts of the country, following violent clashes in Assam, earlier this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days