Goa - where petrol is cheaper than diesel
Panaji: After the Friday hike in fuel prices by the Central government, petrol is now cheaper than diesel in this western Indian state, known for cheap liqour.
While petrol is currently priced at Rs 52.10, the hike of 90 paise (Rs 1.09 post state government tax) takes diesel price to Rs 52.70.
The cost of petrol in Goa is the lowest in the country after the Manohar Parrikar-led government slashed VAT to 0.1 percent as part of a promise made in the party`s 2012 election manifesto. At that time, the decision resulted in petrol prices dropping by a mammoth Rs 11.
President of the All Goa Petrol dealers association Paresh Joshi, the dynamics of fuel prices tilting in favour of petrol, consumers may go for petrol cars, instead of diesel vehicles to save money, unlike elsewhere in the country, where the trend is the opposite.
"It won`t make a difference to us because a majority of petrol pumps have both fuels. But consumer trends may change vis-a-vis buying petrol or diesel vehicles," Joshi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves