Goa - where petrol is cheaper than diesel
Panaji: After the Friday hike in fuel prices by the Central government, petrol is now cheaper than diesel in this western Indian state, known for cheap liqour.
While petrol is currently priced at Rs 52.10, the hike of 90 paise (Rs 1.09 post state government tax) takes diesel price to Rs 52.70.
The cost of petrol in Goa is the lowest in the country after the Manohar Parrikar-led government slashed VAT to 0.1 percent as part of a promise made in the party`s 2012 election manifesto. At that time, the decision resulted in petrol prices dropping by a mammoth Rs 11.
President of the All Goa Petrol dealers association Paresh Joshi, the dynamics of fuel prices tilting in favour of petrol, consumers may go for petrol cars, instead of diesel vehicles to save money, unlike elsewhere in the country, where the trend is the opposite.
"It won`t make a difference to us because a majority of petrol pumps have both fuels. But consumer trends may change vis-a-vis buying petrol or diesel vehicles," Joshi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof