Goa will lose overseas markets due to mining halt: Exporters
Panaji: The continuation of halt on Goa`s mining activity will result in the iron ore industry losing its overseas markets, built during the last six decades, the state`s mining exporters have said in a `white paper`.
The white paper, published by the mineral exporters titled `Sustainable legal operations - not suspension - the solution`, has said the halt on the mining industry will result in inflation and steep loss of revenues for Goa and India.
"If the suspension continues for long, the iron ore industry risks permanently losing its overseas markets, assiduously built up over 60-plus years, apart from the steep loss of revenues for Goa and India," according to the paper.
"Iron ore exporters are also suffering losses, some of them irreparable, due to lost trade opportunities. The companies in Australia, Brazil, and South Africa and perhaps even other nations rush to fill the supply void with India`s export partners such as China, Japan, Korea and certain European nations," the exporters said.
"The likelihood of regaining these markets recedes with every day that mining remains suspended in Goa," they added.
The question mark on Goa`s mining industry was raised following a report by Justice M B Shah Commission, which had alleged large scale illegal mining in the state.
On September 12, 2012, the state government suspended all the mining leases, followed by Union Ministry of Environment and Forest suspending environment clearances and finally the Supreme Court on October 5, 2012 suspending mining in Goa through its interim order.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know