Goan politicians defaming Russians: Diplomat
Panaji: Some Goan politicians are defaming Russians to cover up crimes committed by "Indian anti-social elements", according to Mumbai-based Deputy Consul General Alexey M Mzareulov.
The diplomat was on a two-day visit to Goa to inaugurate a Russian Information Centre in Candolim, a beach village in Goa, which sees over 100,000 Russian tourists annually.
"There are some politicians who see a Russian hand. They want to cover their own tracks," Mzareulov said.
Speaking to a news agency on the sidelines of the event, the Russian diplomat also sought to dispel reports that Russians were involved in prostitution, dismissing them as an "urban legend" and a "fantasy".
Commenting on the law and order situation in Goa, Mzareulov cautioned that India could run the risk of becoming another Thailand, where rising crime forced the Russian authorities to issue an adverse travel advisory.
"You wouldn`t want Goa to become another Thailand," Mzareulov said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what