Goan politicians defaming Russians: Diplomat
Panaji: Some Goan politicians are defaming Russians to cover up crimes committed by "Indian anti-social elements", according to Mumbai-based Deputy Consul General Alexey M Mzareulov.
The diplomat was on a two-day visit to Goa to inaugurate a Russian Information Centre in Candolim, a beach village in Goa, which sees over 100,000 Russian tourists annually.
"There are some politicians who see a Russian hand. They want to cover their own tracks," Mzareulov said.
Speaking to a news agency on the sidelines of the event, the Russian diplomat also sought to dispel reports that Russians were involved in prostitution, dismissing them as an "urban legend" and a "fantasy".
Commenting on the law and order situation in Goa, Mzareulov cautioned that India could run the risk of becoming another Thailand, where rising crime forced the Russian authorities to issue an adverse travel advisory.
"You wouldn`t want Goa to become another Thailand," Mzareulov said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing