Goans want Sanatan Sanstha to be banned
Panaji: Bandora village panchayat, which
granted permission for Sanatan Sanstha to set up its base in
its jurisdiction, has now sought to ban the institution bowing
to public pressure.
The village panchayat, which covers Ramnathi, where
Sanstha`s Ashram is located, has already moved a resolution
seeking the ban on them as an offshoot of Margao bomb blast.
The activities of this decade-old organisation moved
to this village in 2003 when Ashram took shape here near Shree
All was well till October 16, when a blast rocked the
commercial capital of Goa – Margao.
Two Sanatan activists were killed in the explosion and
subsequent investigation exposed entire network linking
Sanstha`s seekers to the conspiracy of serial bomb blast.
The eerie of silence filled with tension got vocal
during gram sabha on Sunday when villagers vehemently spoke
A villager Vasant Bhat moved a resolution seeking to
ban Sanstha and it was adopted unanimously after discussion.
"The resolution is demanding ban on the institution
and also seeks to investigate the affairs of Ashram," Divakar
Salelkar, Bandora panchayat secretary, told a news agency.
Local sarpanch Prabhakar Gawde, who could not resist
the locals from moving the resolution, said that they have
forwarded it to Governor Dr S Sidhu, Chief Minister Digamber
Kamat and local MLA Sudin Dhavalikar.
On the backdrop of locals raising red flag against the
ashram, the management filed a petition with Ponda police
station alleging that a mob of ten people on Sunday tried to
enter in their premises from wired fencing at rear end.
"They assaulted a labourer working there and pelted
stones on Ashram," Virendra Marathe, managing Trustee, Sanatan
Sanstha, has said in the police complaint.
Police Inspector, C L Patil, confirming the complaint
petition by Sanstha said that they will take action only after
verifying the facts.
Goa police have refrained from providing any
protection to the Ashram premises.
"If there is any merit in the case filed by Sanstha,
then police will surely give them the required protection,"
Superintendent of Police and Spokesperson for the Goa police
department Atmaram Deshpande told reporters here.
He said that the panchayat resolution will go to the
directorate of panchayat and police cannot take the cognizance
till it reaches the department through proper channel.
Sanatan has been increasingly finding itself in a
tight spot after Special Investigation Team (SIT) has put its
activities under scanner.
"Sanatan Sanstha is under scanner and SIT is probing
all its aspects," Deshpande said.
Ashram has around 200-odd inmates from across the
country and mostly from the states of Maharashtra and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview