Goa`s 85% mines don`t have air pollution clearances: Minister
Panaji: Goa Environment Minister Aleixo
Sequiera on Friday admitted that nearly 85 per cent of the mines
in Goa are without air pollution clearances.
The Minister told the State Assembly that Goa
Pollution Control Board (GPCB) has not given consent to 85 out
of 99 mines under Prevention and Control of Pollution Act
(PCPA). GPCB is authorized by State government to ensure that
the mining firms adhere to pollution norms.
"All the 85 mining operators have asked for renewal of
consent under PCPA," Sequeira said. In the current Assembly
session, the Minister said the Act allows operation of mines
for up to 120 days, if the application is under process.
"In 85 cases, the consents to operate under the PCPA
have expired as on February 28, 2010," he said. In the written
reply to state Assembly, Sequeira has named mining companies
including Salgaoncar Mining Industries, Sociedade Fomento
Industries, Chowgule Company Private Limited, Sesa Goa
Limited, as the one operating sans the Board consent and
applications were in process.
In February this year, Union Minister for Environment
and Forest Jayram Ramesh had imposed a moratorium on
environment clearance of mining proposals from Goa, till State
finalises its mineral policy.
The Union Minister had also ordered an environment
impact assessment to be conducted by Nagpur-based National
Environment Engineering Research Institute (NEERI) on all
mining activities carried out in the state so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister