Goa`s 85% mines don`t have air pollution clearances: Minister
Panaji: Goa Environment Minister Aleixo
Sequiera on Friday admitted that nearly 85 per cent of the mines
in Goa are without air pollution clearances.
The Minister told the State Assembly that Goa
Pollution Control Board (GPCB) has not given consent to 85 out
of 99 mines under Prevention and Control of Pollution Act
(PCPA). GPCB is authorized by State government to ensure that
the mining firms adhere to pollution norms.
"All the 85 mining operators have asked for renewal of
consent under PCPA," Sequeira said. In the current Assembly
session, the Minister said the Act allows operation of mines
for up to 120 days, if the application is under process.
"In 85 cases, the consents to operate under the PCPA
have expired as on February 28, 2010," he said. In the written
reply to state Assembly, Sequeira has named mining companies
including Salgaoncar Mining Industries, Sociedade Fomento
Industries, Chowgule Company Private Limited, Sesa Goa
Limited, as the one operating sans the Board consent and
applications were in process.
In February this year, Union Minister for Environment
and Forest Jayram Ramesh had imposed a moratorium on
environment clearance of mining proposals from Goa, till State
finalises its mineral policy.
The Union Minister had also ordered an environment
impact assessment to be conducted by Nagpur-based National
Environment Engineering Research Institute (NEERI) on all
mining activities carried out in the state so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow