Goa`s action against illegal mining termed `whitewash`
Panaji: Union Minister for Environment and Forests (MoEF) Jayanti Natarajan Wednesday termed Goa government`s action against all 93 mining leases in the state, after the Justice M B Shah Commission report, as a "whitewash".
"The Shah Commission tabled its report on September 7. Within two days, the Goa Chief Minister issued order suspending licences of mines, which is a complete whitewash," she told reporters here.
"He is trying to fool and whitewash by pretending that he is taking action. Under which act has he suspended the permissions for all the 93 mining leases," she asked.
She said that the actionn by Goa chief minister Manohar Parrikar is a "fraud" on the people of the country.
A day after the Shah Commission report on Goa`s illegal mining was tabled in the Parliament, the Goa government suspended all mining leases, asking mine owners to approach the Directorate of Mines and Geology with proper documents.
She alleged that the state government was trying to usurp the rights of the union government.
"We want to know whether he wants to take power of the central government under the environment act, forest act and other central acts," she said.
Responding to a question, she said that MoEF had written to the state government on several instances about the illegal mining in Goa.
"On several occasions, I have raised with the chief minister the very same issues of illegal mining, and not received any replies," the minister claimed.
Taking a dig at Goa government`s order which has allowed the export of ore already extracted, she said that if the ore was extracted through illegal mining, than it should be confiscated and not allowed to be exported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali