Goa`s ex- Mines Director, collector under vigilance scanner
Panaji: Former Director of Mines and Geology and a former Collector are among the officers against whom the Vigilance Department has launched investigations for various illegalities, the Goa Assembly was told on Tuesday.
Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar said that in all there were 28 cases referred to the Vigilance over the last one year of which two related to mining.
The then Director of Mines and Geology, Arvind Lolyekar, is accused of irregularities and failure to control illegal extraction and transportation of ore while former South District collectorate, GP Naik is accused of illegally allotting government land on long lease in Curchorem village for mining activities.
In case of other officers being investigated by the Vigilance Department, the charges include foreign travels without permission, sexual harassment at workplace, carelessness resulting in death of a person, illegal allotment of land for setting up Special Economic Zones, according to the reply given in the assembly.
Deputy Superintendent of Police Shamba Sawant was being investigated for alleged sexual harassment of a lady police constable.
Three officers from Public Works Department who were suspended for widening a road without acquiring the land were also being probed, it was stated.
A case was also filed against unidentified officers of state-run Goa Industrial Development Corporation for illegal allotment of land in Special Economic Zone in Goa to various companies during 2006-07.
As per the information furnished in the House, a former minister (who is not named in the complaint) has been accused along with three officers for causing loss to the state exchequer in case of a land deal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations
- Assam BJP leader's son kidnapped, ULFA releases ISIS-style video
- Amazon working on music subscription service for $5 a month