Goa`s ex- Mines Director, collector under vigilance scanner
Panaji: Former Director of Mines and Geology and a former Collector are among the officers against whom the Vigilance Department has launched investigations for various illegalities, the Goa Assembly was told on Tuesday.
Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar said that in all there were 28 cases referred to the Vigilance over the last one year of which two related to mining.
The then Director of Mines and Geology, Arvind Lolyekar, is accused of irregularities and failure to control illegal extraction and transportation of ore while former South District collectorate, GP Naik is accused of illegally allotting government land on long lease in Curchorem village for mining activities.
In case of other officers being investigated by the Vigilance Department, the charges include foreign travels without permission, sexual harassment at workplace, carelessness resulting in death of a person, illegal allotment of land for setting up Special Economic Zones, according to the reply given in the assembly.
Deputy Superintendent of Police Shamba Sawant was being investigated for alleged sexual harassment of a lady police constable.
Three officers from Public Works Department who were suspended for widening a road without acquiring the land were also being probed, it was stated.
A case was also filed against unidentified officers of state-run Goa Industrial Development Corporation for illegal allotment of land in Special Economic Zone in Goa to various companies during 2006-07.
As per the information furnished in the House, a former minister (who is not named in the complaint) has been accused along with three officers for causing loss to the state exchequer in case of a land deal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!