Goa`s Feni manufacturing process to be patented
Panaji: After obtaining Geographical Indication (GI) status for the famous Goa Feni, researchers and producers in the coastal state are now trying to patent the process to manufacture this local brew, which is also known for its medicinal benefits.
The Indian Council for Agricultural Research (ICAR) has begun the process to patent the process of manufacturing Feni (spirit made from either coconut or the juice of cashew apple) in consultation with legal experts, who have prepared a water tight case to be presented before the concerned authorities.
"The process to be patented involves the system followed to manufacture Feni, right from plucking of cashew apple to bottling of the brewed final product," ICAR Goa Director Dr N P Singh said.
On behalf of ICAR, the application is moved to Patenting Authority of India (PAI), which will certify the process after inviting objections from across the world.
"To get it patented, the process should be unique to the Feni manufactured in Goa," Singh said.
The researchers are closely working with a local businessman, Gurudatta Bhakta, who owns a brewery producing internationally marketed Feni. The ICAR would also rope in more entrepreneurs, mostly from South Goa this month for the process.
Singh said that the process of brewing Feni was earlier unhygienic as cashew apples were traditionally crushed with legs. Now researchers have devised a new strategy which is an improvised version of the traditional method, involving introduction of micro-organisms during fermentation of the juice.
"ICAR has developed a micro-organism which is a local entity and can be introduced in the juice during ermentation," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi