Goa`s fiscal deficit due to Congress misgovernance: Parrikar
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar took on the opposition benches on Thursday for claiming that the fiscal deficit in the state budget was due to misgovernance by the erstwhile Congress government.
"The total liability of Rs 1,500 crore was carried forward to my government when we took over last year from the Congress-led government. Payments by various departments were not done properly," Parrikar told the Goa state legislative assembly, defending his budget.
He claimed the former government practised utter financial mismanagement due to which the current government has to balance the budget, resulting in the fiscal deficit.
Parrikar pointed out how his government had managed to renegotiate with a contractor which saved the government Rs 40 crore, which would have been lost.
"Figures provided by the contractor were inflated. We renegotiated and found that the tendering was 15 per cent more. Naturally, the money would have gone into someone`s pocket," he said.
He said that he had to face additional financial burden due to mining operations getting shut down by providing financial help to those affected without revenue from mining.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?