Goa`s grand old church to go green, shed asbestos
Panaji: The Basilica of Bom Jesus, one of Goa`s most revered churches, will soon have an eco-friendly roof -- thanks to the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) which wanted visitors to the over 400-year-old building to have a "healthy" experience.
The massive asbestos roof on the imposing laterite stone building will be replaced by eco-friendly galvanised sheet.
The decision was taken on the recommendations of the ASI to ensure that tourists were not exposed to the risk of cancer due to exposure to asbestos, Savio Barretto of the Basilica of Bom Jesus said.
"Last year, the ASI had done the roof work and replaced a lot of older sheets with new asbestos sheets. But in a recent meeting, officials informed us that people were protesting against the move and demanding that modern galvanised sheets be put up on the Basilica roof. We agreed," Barretto said.
"We were informed that asbestos is not eco-friendly and according to studies it could cause diseases like cancer," he said.
Built in 1604 and located a short distance from the capital Panaji, the Basilica of Bom Jesus attracts thousands of tourists and devotees every year.
Until recently, the roof of the church was covered by clay Mangalore tiles.
A few decades ago, heavy maintenance costs forced the authorities to switch from tiles and rafters to asbestos to cover the 300 sq mt wide roof of the church.
The Basilica contains mortal remains of the Spanish saint St Francis Xavier who brought Christianity to the region. The Navarra-born saint is now the patron saint of Goa.
The Basilica is also recognised as a Unesco (United Nations Education Scientific and Cultural Organisation) world heritage site.
"We agreed to the idea of galvanised sheets because all such heritage buildings in the world have discarded asbestos as a building material. I believe that the modern material would be of great help as it is eco-friendly too," Barretto said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs