Goa`s shoreline eroded by sea: Repair
Panaji: One-fourth of Goa`s shoreline has been affected by sea erosion which needs urgent repair to save it from crumbling further, the state government said Tuesday.
The Goa government`s document tabled on the floor of the House during the ongoing Assembly session has listed the state`s prominent beaches, which attract huge tourists, as among those fearing inundation due to sea erosion.
The performance budget by Department of Water Resources has mentioned that about 25.02 km Goa coastline is severely affected by sea erosion.
The state has a total coastline of 105 km running between North to South, which attracts 2.6 million tourists annually, the report said, adding that a length of 7.180 km is critically damaged, the report said.
The beach stretch coming under Pernem, Bardez, Tiswadi, Quepem, Canacona and Salcete talukas has witnessed sea erosion.
While celebrating golden jubilee of its liberation from Portuguese rule last year, the government had taken up a stretch of 2.5 km to restore at the cost of Rs 30 crore during financial year 2011-12, the report said.
The coastline covering villages of Keri (Pernem), Anjuna and Candolim, which are a major tourist attraction, have been taken up for anti-sea erosion measures.
The document mentioned that the state is implementing a number of anti-sea erosion measures like stepped sea walls, concrete blocks, earthen and sand bag embankments, geo-tubes and others.
The measures are taken based on the recommendations of Pune-based Central Water Power and Research Station, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3