Good monsoon to boost paddy production in Goa
Panaji: Goa agriculture department has predicted a good paddy production this season, as the state is having continuous rains required for good farming.
Goa has been witnessing rains without any dry patch since the last seven days and the heavy downpour is expected to continue for the next couple of days.
The rainfall crossed the 50 inch mark yesterday, according to Indian Meteorological Department, Goa, director K V Singh.
The paddy cultivation has received good response this year from the farmers as the state government has already announced minimum support price of Rs 17 per kg of paddy, agriculture director Satish Tendulkar said.
Goa has been producing good crop for the last two years due to favourable environmental conditions, Tendulkar said, adding that the trend will continue this year too considering the initial signs.
The state produced 110 lakh tonnes of paddy during the last rainy season in which almost 30,000-32,000 hectares of land was under cultivation. Around 70,000 farmers are engaged in this activity, Tendulkar said.
Parts of talukas like Sattari, Tiswadi, Bardez, Canacona, Salcette, Sanguem and others have been witnessing farming activity with the onset of monsoon.
The agriculture officers are already on the field interacting with the farmers providing them necessary support, Tendulkar said .
The state government has given importance to the agriculture sector by initiating various schemes for them, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP