Good monsoon to boost paddy production in Goa
Panaji: Goa agriculture department has predicted a good paddy production this season, as the state is having continuous rains required for good farming.
Goa has been witnessing rains without any dry patch since the last seven days and the heavy downpour is expected to continue for the next couple of days.
The rainfall crossed the 50 inch mark yesterday, according to Indian Meteorological Department, Goa, director K V Singh.
The paddy cultivation has received good response this year from the farmers as the state government has already announced minimum support price of Rs 17 per kg of paddy, agriculture director Satish Tendulkar said.
Goa has been producing good crop for the last two years due to favourable environmental conditions, Tendulkar said, adding that the trend will continue this year too considering the initial signs.
The state produced 110 lakh tonnes of paddy during the last rainy season in which almost 30,000-32,000 hectares of land was under cultivation. Around 70,000 farmers are engaged in this activity, Tendulkar said.
Parts of talukas like Sattari, Tiswadi, Bardez, Canacona, Salcette, Sanguem and others have been witnessing farming activity with the onset of monsoon.
The agriculture officers are already on the field interacting with the farmers providing them necessary support, Tendulkar said .
The state government has given importance to the agriculture sector by initiating various schemes for them, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what