Good response from companies for bidding of Mopa Airport: CM
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Monday said some companies have already started showing interest to bid for Greenfield airport project at Mopa in north Goa, which would be the second airport in the state.
"We will ensure that only good companies bid for the project," Parrikar told the state Legislative Assembly today, adding that 10-15 companies have already shown interest in the bids.
"There is a rush to bid for the airport project," he said. The project, planned in Mopa village near Goa-Maharashtra border, has evoked strong reaction from the tourism industry players in south Goa, who fear closure of Dabolim airport once Mopa becomes operational.
The issue was today raised by Congress legislator Chandrakant Kavlekar and Independent MLA Vijay Sardessai. Kavlekar questioned what assurance does the state government has that the Dabolim airport would continue after Mopa facility becomes functional.
Parrikar, quoting the Union government`s cabinet resolution which assures the continuation of Dabolim even after Mopa takes shape, said that the Airport Authority of India (AAI) has invested Rs 550 crore in upgrading the facilities at Dabolim.
"More money would be invested in near future on Dabolim airport and hence Union government cannot decide to shut down the airport abruptly after investing so much," the Chief Minister added.
He also said that the airline operators would prefer to land at Dabolim because the landing fees would be much cheaper compared to Mopa, which would be a new facility.
"It would be cheaper to land at Dabolim so airline companies would prefer there," Parrikar said.
Mopa would also be a feasible airport because Dabolim is hitting saturation point in a few years, resulting in the necessity of a new facility, he said.
The Mopa airport will also have facilities for big Cargo handling which are not existing at Dabolim, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'