Goods, passenger vehicles skip Goa
Panaji: Inter-state goods and passenger vehicles have stopped rolling into Goa from Monday to protest a Goa government decision to impose a hefty fee for entering the state.
Many trucks, goods carriers and passenger buses associated with the All Indian Motor Transport Congress have been skipping Goa since midnight, choosing alternative routes, which do not necessitate the use of Goa`s roads.
State government authorities have, however, claimed that the boycott is "not complete" and have also offered an olive branch to the transporters by promising to cancel the fee and impose only an "extra charge per additional tonnage".
"The Goa government will not succumb to threats. But we are willing to scrap the entry charge and impose an extra fee for every additional (more than the sanctioned tonnage) tonnage of goods in vehicles passing through Goa," Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar told reporters here.
However, an AIMTC spokesperson said: "The very concept is not agreeable to us. Any fee charged by states is illegal considering that all vehicles pay road tax when they are purchased. We will not oblige."
Last month, a cash-strapped state government had imposed road tax to the tune of Rs.500 to Rs 1,000 for light and heavy commercial vehicles entering Goa.
The Goa government expects to net Rs 60 crore annually from the new toll booths which have been installed on all entry points into the state by the transport department.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe