Goods, passenger vehicles skip Goa
Panaji: Inter-state goods and passenger vehicles have stopped rolling into Goa from Monday to protest a Goa government decision to impose a hefty fee for entering the state.
Many trucks, goods carriers and passenger buses associated with the All Indian Motor Transport Congress have been skipping Goa since midnight, choosing alternative routes, which do not necessitate the use of Goa`s roads.
State government authorities have, however, claimed that the boycott is "not complete" and have also offered an olive branch to the transporters by promising to cancel the fee and impose only an "extra charge per additional tonnage".
"The Goa government will not succumb to threats. But we are willing to scrap the entry charge and impose an extra fee for every additional (more than the sanctioned tonnage) tonnage of goods in vehicles passing through Goa," Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar told reporters here.
However, an AIMTC spokesperson said: "The very concept is not agreeable to us. Any fee charged by states is illegal considering that all vehicles pay road tax when they are purchased. We will not oblige."
Last month, a cash-strapped state government had imposed road tax to the tune of Rs.500 to Rs 1,000 for light and heavy commercial vehicles entering Goa.
The Goa government expects to net Rs 60 crore annually from the new toll booths which have been installed on all entry points into the state by the transport department.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof