Goods, passenger vehicles skip Goa
Panaji: Inter-state goods and passenger vehicles have stopped rolling into Goa from Monday to protest a Goa government decision to impose a hefty fee for entering the state.
Many trucks, goods carriers and passenger buses associated with the All Indian Motor Transport Congress have been skipping Goa since midnight, choosing alternative routes, which do not necessitate the use of Goa`s roads.
State government authorities have, however, claimed that the boycott is "not complete" and have also offered an olive branch to the transporters by promising to cancel the fee and impose only an "extra charge per additional tonnage".
"The Goa government will not succumb to threats. But we are willing to scrap the entry charge and impose an extra fee for every additional (more than the sanctioned tonnage) tonnage of goods in vehicles passing through Goa," Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar told reporters here.
However, an AIMTC spokesperson said: "The very concept is not agreeable to us. Any fee charged by states is illegal considering that all vehicles pay road tax when they are purchased. We will not oblige."
Last month, a cash-strapped state government had imposed road tax to the tune of Rs.500 to Rs 1,000 for light and heavy commercial vehicles entering Goa.
The Goa government expects to net Rs 60 crore annually from the new toll booths which have been installed on all entry points into the state by the transport department.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next