Govt against giving special status to Goa
New Delhi: Government on Friday opposed a resolution to provide special status to Goa for regulating the influx of foreigners and migrants to the state and protecting the economic and cultural interests of its citizens.
The private member resolution, which was later withdrawn after the Government`s reply, was moved by Shantaram Naik (Cong) from Goa.
Naik demanded special provisions to be to made in Article 371 so that Goa assembly has rights to enact laws.
"Land mafia from foreign countries are landing in states like Goa with tonnes of money buying huge areas creating social and economic chaos. Some of the parties are potential enough to buy a whole village," Naik said.
"The Goa Assembly should have right to enact laws to regulate influx of people in the state," he said.
In support of his resolution, the Congress MP said in some places in Goa, Russians and Israelis were involved in running commercial activities and were "grabbing land" and this was harming the interest of the local people.
Replying after the debate on the resolution, Minister of State for Home RPN Singh said the Constitution of the country provides a right to every citizen of the country to move from one place to another. "The government opposes the resolution in its present form," he said.
On Naik`s charge that Russians and other foreigners were involved in illegal commercial activity, he said under the prevalent visa regimes of the country, they cannot do commercial activities without permission of RBI.
"If they are doing so, they should be dealt with strongly and the state government is empowered to do so," Singh said.
Narendra Kashyap (BSP) and Munavvar Saleem (SP) also took part in the debate.
Rama Jois (BJP) moved a resolution to form a National Reconciliation Adalat headed by a former Chief Justice of India to address issues between Hindus and Muslims which cause communal riots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi