Govt blacklists accused builders in Goa collapse case
Panaji: The Goa government on Wednesday blacklisted the construction firm responsible for the Canacona building collapse early this month, which left 31 people dead.
"We have withdrawn all the licences of the builder (M/S Bharat Realtors and Developers). We have also blacklisted them," Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar said.
The builders, who are directors of the firm -- Vishwas Desai, Jaideep Saigal and Pradeep Singh Birring -- are accused in the collapse case. While contractor Vishwas has been arrested, two others are still absconding and efforts are on to trace them.
The five-storey under-construction building collapsed on January 4 claiming 31 lives and leaving several others injured.
The rescuers had managed to pull out 16 people alive from the debris during the 10-day rescue operation, which met with a roadblock days after the collapse when two adjacent structures began to tilt precariously due to drilling. Thereafter, manual rescue work continued for almost a week.
Goa police have already booked cases against the builders. Also, two government officers--Deputy Town Planner Prakash Bandodkar and a Deputy Collector Prashant Shirodkar have been arrested.
The state government has already formed a three-member committee headed by retired IAS officer to probe the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday