Govt looking to get rid of tar balls on Goa beaches: Parrikar
New Delhi: Concerned over the tar balls phenomenon on Goa beaches, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar has asked the state pollution control board to find out the source of the aquatic pollutant and study how to dispense them off.
"I have asked the State Pollution Control Board to study the real source of tar balls. We are studying how to dispense them off, how to ecologically get rid of them," Parrikar, who was in Delhi today, told PTI.
The Chief Minister said the tar ball is an "annual phenomenon" which is happening as many boats and big ships wash their tanks some 10 kms or 5 kms off the Goa coast.
"...Because of changing currents, they come to the shore," he said after meeting Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar.
Senior Congress leader and Rajya Sabha member Shantaram Naik had recently asked the Environment Ministry to take steps to save Goa beaches from tar balls.
In a letter to Javadekar, he had said the Government should take steps to ensure that crude oil ships refrain from deballasting at sea.
Asked whether he has raised the issue with the Environment Minister, Parrikar said the state pollution control board was capable of handling the situation.
According to Naik, tar balls -- a blob of petroleum -- pollute beaches including Calangute, Candolim, Colva and Benaulim "turning them black, badly affecting tourism in Goa."
Naik had said that he raised the issue in the Rajya Sabha sometime back and his doubts have come true that ships carrying crude oil clean their tanks off the Goa coast disregarding international norms.
According to a study conducted by National Institute of Oceanography, South East Asian Crude Oil (SEACO) was responsible for the problem.
"It is possible that tankers proceeding to the Middle East with SEACO are likely to clean their tanks in the Arabian Sea. The resulting oil undergoes weathering process, leading to tar ball formation," says the NIO study.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'