Govt prepares plan to execute public purpose projects in Goa
New Delhi: An action plan was ready to execute public purpose projects in Goa`s ecologically sensitive areas without violating the rules, regulations and court orders, Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar said on Thursday.
The Minister said this after his meeting with Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar who raised the issues arising from the ban of mining activities within a kilometre of national parks and sanctuaries.
"Today we discussed the mining, the river pollution and other issues related in the light of Supreme Court decision. ...The Centre also wants to adhere to rules, regulations, laws and the judgment but still go ahead with the public purpose projects. Therefore, we have charted out the plan and we will go ahead with it," Javadekar said.
"It is a new mechanism which is found very useful because we can fast track the decision-making after taking correct perusal of all the issues in its totality," he said.
This was Parrikar`s second meeting with Javadekar seeking help to resolve all the key environment issues related to mining and other development activities in the coastal state.
Last month, the Goa Chief Minister had asked the Centre to take initiative for rationalising mining norms within one kilometre of national parks and sanctuaries in the state.
In April, the Supreme Court, in the wake of the recommendations of the Justice Shah Commission, partially lifted the 18-month-old mining ban in Goa and allowed 20 million tonnes of iron ore to be extracted annually.
Production of iron ore in Goa before the ban was about 45 million tonnes a year.
The apex court had categorically said there can be no mining activities within 1 km from the boundaries of national parks and sanctuaries in Goa.
The court had banned operations in all 90 mines in Goa from September 2012 after the Shah Commission pointed out illegalities in the industry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections