Govt should monitor iron ore cargo: MPT
Panaji: Following Goa Chief Minister
Digambar Kamat`s allegations that the Mormugao Port Trust
(MPT) was not doing enough to stop the iron ore being exported
illegally, the port has said that government agencies can
monitor ore consignments before they arrive at the ports for
MPT has also said that ports do not have means to
ascertain whether a cargo is sourced from a legitimate mine or
"A port trust has no means to ascertain whether a cargo
is sourced from a legitimate mine or not. It is the
responsibility of the Department of Mines to monitor the same
and issue certificates as regards legality of ore," MPT, which
exports highest amount of iron ore from India, said.
"In case any illegality is detected by the Mines
Department, it is their responsibility to inform the
regulatory bodies like Customs, so that, the cargo consignment
is not cleared by customs for export," it added.
MPT, state`s oldest port located in the town of Vasco,
has said that it has been insisting for NOCs from the shippers
before the consignments are dispatched.
It added, "The ports are not an enforcement body like
government departments, which have sets of rules and acts to
"A port trust is an autonomous corporate body, which
cannot act as an enforcer or regulator on its own in respect
to export or import without statutory sanctions or directives
from the government to act as an agent to do so," MPT said.
Last week, while addressing the state legislative
Assembly, the Chief Minister had said that the government is
doing enough, but ports need to do their bit too. He blamed
the MPT for export of unaccounted ore.
Justice M B Shah Commission is currently investigating
illegal iron ore export scam in the state, that is estimated
to be lying somewhere between Rs 1,200 crore and Rs 10,000
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!