Govt should monitor iron ore cargo: MPT
Panaji: Following Goa Chief Minister
Digambar Kamat`s allegations that the Mormugao Port Trust
(MPT) was not doing enough to stop the iron ore being exported
illegally, the port has said that government agencies can
monitor ore consignments before they arrive at the ports for
MPT has also said that ports do not have means to
ascertain whether a cargo is sourced from a legitimate mine or
"A port trust has no means to ascertain whether a cargo
is sourced from a legitimate mine or not. It is the
responsibility of the Department of Mines to monitor the same
and issue certificates as regards legality of ore," MPT, which
exports highest amount of iron ore from India, said.
"In case any illegality is detected by the Mines
Department, it is their responsibility to inform the
regulatory bodies like Customs, so that, the cargo consignment
is not cleared by customs for export," it added.
MPT, state`s oldest port located in the town of Vasco,
has said that it has been insisting for NOCs from the shippers
before the consignments are dispatched.
It added, "The ports are not an enforcement body like
government departments, which have sets of rules and acts to
"A port trust is an autonomous corporate body, which
cannot act as an enforcer or regulator on its own in respect
to export or import without statutory sanctions or directives
from the government to act as an agent to do so," MPT said.
Last week, while addressing the state legislative
Assembly, the Chief Minister had said that the government is
doing enough, but ports need to do their bit too. He blamed
the MPT for export of unaccounted ore.
Justice M B Shah Commission is currently investigating
illegal iron ore export scam in the state, that is estimated
to be lying somewhere between Rs 1,200 crore and Rs 10,000
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists