Govt to take with Centre on export duty roll back
Panaji: The Goa government has decided to
take up with the Centre the issue of hiked export duty, which
is likely to dent the prospects of iron ore mining industry in
State Chief Minister Digambar Kamat told PTI that his
office has received several representations from bodies
representing mining industry and even from the Goa Chamber of
Commerce and Industry (GCCI) expressing worries over the
"We will represent to the Union government seeking their
intervention to roll back the export duty," Kamat said.
The export duty was hiked from 20 per cent to 30 per cent
from December 30, 2011 onwards, leaving the Iron Ore exporters
Goa Mineral Ore Exporters Association (GMOEA), the body
representing Goan exporters, had said that such a hike would
cripple the trade.
They had also pointed out that the royalty, which is
inversely proportionate to export duty, will plummet this
year, affecting finances of the state.
The GCCI had also written letter to Union Finance
Minister Pranab Mukherjee to review the hike.
Goa, the biggest exporter of Iron Ore, had sent
assignments of 54 million metric tonnes in the international
market. The state has low grade ores which are not consumable
for the steel industry, until they are blended with the high
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!