Guard suspended for trying to sneak cigarettes into sub-jail
Panaji: A prison guard has been suspended in Goa for allegedly trying to smuggle banned substances into a sub-jail near here, police sources said on Saturday.
Inspector General (Prisons) Mihir Vardhan on Friday suspended Sunil Telgiri, who was posted at the sub-jail at Sada, about 40km from here.
He was caught at the entrance of the sub-jail trying to sneak in cigarettes and other tobacco products, which are banned in jail premises, for inmates, police sources said.
The guard would be interrogated to find out whether he had smuggled banned products in the jail in the past, they said.
Sada sub-jail was in news two months back after one of the inmates provided tapes of how prisoners were getting narcotics substances and other banned products in their lock- ups.
The IGP had ordered an inquiry but no prohibited items were found in the lock-ups.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble