Guard suspended for trying to sneak cigarettes into sub-jail
Panaji: A prison guard has been suspended in Goa for allegedly trying to smuggle banned substances into a sub-jail near here, police sources said on Saturday.
Inspector General (Prisons) Mihir Vardhan on Friday suspended Sunil Telgiri, who was posted at the sub-jail at Sada, about 40km from here.
He was caught at the entrance of the sub-jail trying to sneak in cigarettes and other tobacco products, which are banned in jail premises, for inmates, police sources said.
The guard would be interrogated to find out whether he had smuggled banned products in the jail in the past, they said.
Sada sub-jail was in news two months back after one of the inmates provided tapes of how prisoners were getting narcotics substances and other banned products in their lock- ups.
The IGP had ordered an inquiry but no prohibited items were found in the lock-ups.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources
- Roger Federer cleans court by removing bottles, towels left by other players