Guard suspended for trying to sneak cigarettes into sub-jail
Panaji: A prison guard has been suspended in Goa for allegedly trying to smuggle banned substances into a sub-jail near here, police sources said on Saturday.
Inspector General (Prisons) Mihir Vardhan on Friday suspended Sunil Telgiri, who was posted at the sub-jail at Sada, about 40km from here.
He was caught at the entrance of the sub-jail trying to sneak in cigarettes and other tobacco products, which are banned in jail premises, for inmates, police sources said.
The guard would be interrogated to find out whether he had smuggled banned products in the jail in the past, they said.
Sada sub-jail was in news two months back after one of the inmates provided tapes of how prisoners were getting narcotics substances and other banned products in their lock- ups.
The IGP had ordered an inquiry but no prohibited items were found in the lock-ups.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok