Guard suspended for trying to sneak cigarettes into sub-jail
Panaji: A prison guard has been suspended in Goa for allegedly trying to smuggle banned substances into a sub-jail near here, police sources said on Saturday.
Inspector General (Prisons) Mihir Vardhan on Friday suspended Sunil Telgiri, who was posted at the sub-jail at Sada, about 40km from here.
He was caught at the entrance of the sub-jail trying to sneak in cigarettes and other tobacco products, which are banned in jail premises, for inmates, police sources said.
The guard would be interrogated to find out whether he had smuggled banned products in the jail in the past, they said.
Sada sub-jail was in news two months back after one of the inmates provided tapes of how prisoners were getting narcotics substances and other banned products in their lock- ups.
The IGP had ordered an inquiry but no prohibited items were found in the lock-ups.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss
- Rajnath Singh in Kashmir, says those who believe in 'Kashmiriyat' are welcome for talks