Guard suspended for trying to sneak cigarettes into sub-jail
Panaji: A prison guard has been suspended in Goa for allegedly trying to smuggle banned substances into a sub-jail near here, police sources said on Saturday.
Inspector General (Prisons) Mihir Vardhan on Friday suspended Sunil Telgiri, who was posted at the sub-jail at Sada, about 40km from here.
He was caught at the entrance of the sub-jail trying to sneak in cigarettes and other tobacco products, which are banned in jail premises, for inmates, police sources said.
The guard would be interrogated to find out whether he had smuggled banned products in the jail in the past, they said.
Sada sub-jail was in news two months back after one of the inmates provided tapes of how prisoners were getting narcotics substances and other banned products in their lock- ups.
The IGP had ordered an inquiry but no prohibited items were found in the lock-ups.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- To give shape to new education policy, HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar meets RSS leaders
- Italian connection to Mahatma Gandhi's assassination? Subramanian Swamy to reveal after August 15
- WATCH: AB de Villiers' lesson for 19-year-old who struck him with fearsome bouncer
- More girls studying, but 84% drop out after graduation
- Market gatheres momentum, Sensex up 120 points amid F&O expiry