Hanging Kasab correct step; what about Afzal Guru: Parrikar
Panaji: Describing the execution of 26/11 Mumbai terror attack convict Ajmal Kasab as "a correct step", Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar today said 2001 Parliament attack case convict Afzal Guru should also be executed.
"What should have happened has happened," Parrikar said here, hours after Kasab was hanged at Yerwada jail.
"The Centre has taken a correct step, but what about Afzal Guru?" he said, adding that those who work against the nation cannot be treated like guests.
"Government finally had the courage (to hang Kasab). Now they should also do it for Afzal Guru," he said.
Afzal Guru was convicted for conspiracy in the December 2001 Parliament attack case and the order of his death penalty was upheld by the Supreme Court in 2004. The sentence was scheduled to be carried out on October 20, 2006. However, Guru`s execution was stayed following a mercy plea filed by his wife.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened