Hanging Kasab correct step; what about Afzal Guru: Parrikar
Panaji: Describing the execution of 26/11 Mumbai terror attack convict Ajmal Kasab as "a correct step", Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar today said 2001 Parliament attack case convict Afzal Guru should also be executed.
"What should have happened has happened," Parrikar said here, hours after Kasab was hanged at Yerwada jail.
"The Centre has taken a correct step, but what about Afzal Guru?" he said, adding that those who work against the nation cannot be treated like guests.
"Government finally had the courage (to hang Kasab). Now they should also do it for Afzal Guru," he said.
Afzal Guru was convicted for conspiracy in the December 2001 Parliament attack case and the order of his death penalty was upheld by the Supreme Court in 2004. The sentence was scheduled to be carried out on October 20, 2006. However, Guru`s execution was stayed following a mercy plea filed by his wife.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state
- Chennai road mishap: Seven more succumbs to injuries, death toll rises to 14