HC issues notices to 48 iron-ore mines in Goa
Panaji: The Goa bench of Bombay High Court has issued notices to holders of 48 mining leases in the state for exceeding the permissible limit of extraction.
Goa Foundation, an environmental NGO, has filed Public interest litigation before the High Court on the issue, calling such extraction as a violation of state environmental laws.
The respondents to the PIL include some of the state`s biggest mining companies, including V S Dempo, Timblo Irmaos, V M Salgaoncar and Chowgule & Co. Besides, Court has also issued notices to Union Ministry of Environment and Forests, (MoEF).
Next hearing would be on September 19.
The state has 100-odd mining leases, which export 54 million metric tones of ore annually.
The High Court issued notices yesterday. On the same day, State Assembly`s Public Accounts Committee (PAC) said, that ore worth Rs 1,200 crore had been extracted in Goa in last few years.
PAC, headed by Manohar Parrikar, said that 32 mining leases had already exported around 60 lakh tons of iron ore in the absence of licences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?