HC rejects Pacheco`s bail plea in Nadia death case
Panaji: In more bad news for embattled
former Goa minister Fransisco Pacheco, the Bombay High Court today rejected his bail petition in connection with death of his close friend Nadia Torrado.
Rejecting the petition, Justice A S Oka of the Goa
bench of the court said it is not inclined to grant him bail
at this juncture.
The bail petition was heard by Justice Oka after
Justice Nelson Britto recused himself from hearing it last
Pacheco was arrested by crime branch in connection
with death of Nadia, who died allegedly after consuming
The four-day remand granted to Pacheco is expiring
tomorrow with crime branch planning to move for extension of
his police custody.
The court also mentioned that the NCP legislator
representing Benaulim constituency can move to the appropriate authority seeking permission to attend the ongoing legislative assembly session.
Seeking bail, advocate Surendra Desai, representing
Pacheco, said the crime branch has not interrogated him for
last two to three days and he is "languishing in police
He pointed out that police have not been able to find
anything from five mobile handsets and three SIM cards
recovered from Pacheco`s residence.
The lawyer claimed there is nothing to prove that
Pacheco would destroy the evidence.
"Even when Pacheco was missing he never tried to
temper with the evidence," Desai said, adding the former
tourism minister will feel humiliated to attend the assembly
session being escorted by police and hence bail should be
granted to him.
Public Prosecutor Carlose Fereira said the Crime
Branch is yet to recover two mobiles and a laptop used by
He mentioned that even after Nadia`s death on May 30,
one of her mobiles was being used till June 5.
Fereira said that the police are also yet to recover
the blunt object allegedly used to hit Nadia, which is evident
from the post-mortem report which shows injuries on her body.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- PM Modi's 10th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat': As it happened
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday