HC rejects Tarun Tejpal`s bail in sexual assault case
Panaji: The Bombay High Court on Friday rejected the bail plea of Tehelka founder editor Tarun Tejpal, accused of sexually assaulting a junior woman colleague in a lift of a five star hotel here.
Justice UV Bakre of the Goa bench of the court refused bail to Tejpal, who is presently lodged at Sada sub jail in Vasco, 35 kms from here.
Tejpal, who was arrested on November 30 last year following the rejection of his anticipatory bail, was not present in court when the order was pronounced this afternoon.
Earlier during the day, Tejpal was granted permission by a court here to meet his ailing mother, who is admitted in a hospital at Mapusa town.
An application moved by Tejpal before the court had yesterday said that his mother Shankuntala has been suffering from brain tumour and is in her last stage of her life.
According to his lawyer Swapnil Nachinolkar, Tejpal is likely to be escorted to the hospital tomorrow morning.
Tejpal had sought bail after Goa Crime branch filed a charge sheet against him on February 17 for rape, outraging modesty and sexual harassment of the woman journalist.
On March 7, the court had adjourned the hearing in the bail plea for March 12 after hearing arguments in-camera by prosecution and defence counsels.
Subsequently, the court posted the matter for order today.
The 50-year-old journalist has been behind bars for allegedly raping the woman during Tehelka`s Thinkfest in Goa in November last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'