HC rejects Tarun Tejpal`s bail in sexual assault case
Panaji: The Bombay High Court on Friday rejected the bail plea of Tehelka founder editor Tarun Tejpal, accused of sexually assaulting a junior woman colleague in a lift of a five star hotel here.
Justice UV Bakre of the Goa bench of the court refused bail to Tejpal, who is presently lodged at Sada sub jail in Vasco, 35 kms from here.
Tejpal, who was arrested on November 30 last year following the rejection of his anticipatory bail, was not present in court when the order was pronounced this afternoon.
Earlier during the day, Tejpal was granted permission by a court here to meet his ailing mother, who is admitted in a hospital at Mapusa town.
An application moved by Tejpal before the court had yesterday said that his mother Shankuntala has been suffering from brain tumour and is in her last stage of her life.
According to his lawyer Swapnil Nachinolkar, Tejpal is likely to be escorted to the hospital tomorrow morning.
Tejpal had sought bail after Goa Crime branch filed a charge sheet against him on February 17 for rape, outraging modesty and sexual harassment of the woman journalist.
On March 7, the court had adjourned the hearing in the bail plea for March 12 after hearing arguments in-camera by prosecution and defence counsels.
Subsequently, the court posted the matter for order today.
The 50-year-old journalist has been behind bars for allegedly raping the woman during Tehelka`s Thinkfest in Goa in November last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister