HC rejects Tarun Tejpal`s bail in sexual assault case
Panaji: The Bombay High Court on Friday rejected the bail plea of Tehelka founder editor Tarun Tejpal, accused of sexually assaulting a junior woman colleague in a lift of a five star hotel here.
Justice UV Bakre of the Goa bench of the court refused bail to Tejpal, who is presently lodged at Sada sub jail in Vasco, 35 kms from here.
Tejpal, who was arrested on November 30 last year following the rejection of his anticipatory bail, was not present in court when the order was pronounced this afternoon.
Earlier during the day, Tejpal was granted permission by a court here to meet his ailing mother, who is admitted in a hospital at Mapusa town.
An application moved by Tejpal before the court had yesterday said that his mother Shankuntala has been suffering from brain tumour and is in her last stage of her life.
According to his lawyer Swapnil Nachinolkar, Tejpal is likely to be escorted to the hospital tomorrow morning.
Tejpal had sought bail after Goa Crime branch filed a charge sheet against him on February 17 for rape, outraging modesty and sexual harassment of the woman journalist.
On March 7, the court had adjourned the hearing in the bail plea for March 12 after hearing arguments in-camera by prosecution and defence counsels.
Subsequently, the court posted the matter for order today.
The 50-year-old journalist has been behind bars for allegedly raping the woman during Tehelka`s Thinkfest in Goa in November last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far