Headmistress detained in Goa school rape case
Panaji: A seven-year-old girl was raped at her school in the port town of Vasco, resulting in huge protests here last night.
Police have detained the headmistress of the school on charges of negligence.
The second grade student was sexually abused in the school toilet next to the office of the headmistress during recess yesterday, by an unidentified person, police said today.
The incident came to light after the minor complained of pain and was referred for medical examination.
Several parents and locals protested outside the school last night questioning the negligence on the part of the school management. As the situation turned tense, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar visited the spot late last night assuring stern action against the accused.
"We will not spare the accused and anyone involved in this crime," Parrikar said, following which police detained the headmistress.
Police said the culprit is yet to be arrested. A sketch has been prepared based on the description provided by the victim, they said.
Incidentally, the school has been one of the well guarded institute with Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) personnel posted at the gate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened